Monday, June 22, 2009

re-set



(images from ChristArt.com)

"Did you turn it off, wait ten seconds, and turn it back on again?"

How many times do we need to just start over? How many moments do we just pause, and reset ourselves? If you are a parent, the answer is probably, "Too many to count!"

I have had to use the turn-off-wait-turn-back-on-again process sooooo many times today! I had to do it with my husband's new cell phone. Twice. We had to do this with the computer tonight. Twice. I almost had to go with out blogging (gasp!), but thanks to amazing technical expertise (turn off, wait, turn back on), we got the computer up and running (thank you, thank you, thank you!).

I have had to reset myself with the family today, several times, as well. The children are wild, I think, because it is the first full week without "official" school. I am homeschooling all three kids, now (say many prayers for me, please), and I'm only getting a glimpse of things to come. We are not working hard, right now, mind you; I think a little math and reading each day is not too much to ask! My kids, apparently, do not agree with this notion at the present time. Nothing is what they want right now, no school. I, of course, worry about retention and skill sets. I worry too much, probably, but I still feel strongly about working a little as many days over the summer as possible. So, wild children make me need to deep breathe and pray. It is a method of re-setting myself.

My oldest son does better with some routine than none, so I'm trying to keep him occupied with some semblance of a school-type routine. I'm learning my youngest (my wildest) also does better with some predictability. My middle child, bless her, seems to be flexible (I needed at least one like that!). Also, my son seems to be struggling with the whole gluten-free thing more than he was when we first started the diet. We have had to re-set many times today and yesterday (and all lost week). He needs a Ctrl-Alt-Del function - he uses books right now (reads them) to calm himself -- I know-- it could be worse. My youngest (did I mention, wildest?) needs some other tools to calm herself down, besides screaming, that is. Naps (turn off-wait-turn back on) seem to work! My middle (- again- bless her) just gets a stern talking-to, and re-dirests her energy.

So, I certainly don't mean to sound woe-is-me; I'm just illustrating the current snapshot of the family, and trying to draw a connection between parenting, faith, and re-starting. We all have our own struggles, even though it is summer, and life is supposed to be, in theory, more relaxed (and actually quite grand). My kids (and me) are getting used to being with each other full time, and this is good, but slightly difficult; it's an adjustment.

So this is why prayer and Faith are soooooooooo very important to me right now. As I've gotten older and have had children, my spiritual life has intensified. I'm longing for a Bible study, I'm trying to be consistent with devotionals. I'm trying to keep the curiosity and love for Christ alive in my family, in my children. I'm trying to learn tools to teach, and parent better. I know that if I can live as a witness, as a good example, my children will follow. My husband, too, is studying and reading more. There is a verse that says something like, "instruct the student, and he will become like the teacher." It is in Luke, I believe(I may be wrong-- I have always had my faith, but never was really good at scripture memorization). This is my meditation for the day... to live as an example for my family and to have a fresh start each day. We all deserve that.

This is why it is important, I believe, to re-set sometimes. Ctrl-Alt-Del, re-set, turn-off-wait-turn-back-on, what ever it takes to not lose it... to live like Christ would like. It isn't easy... it is hard! Our Pastor said it isn't supposed to be easy! There will be tests,too, so stop, listen and learn. That is what I'm trying to do (a very timely less on from my Pastor)...

Prayer: for all of us spouses, parents, our marriages! It is hard work!

2 comments:

  1. Living Proof Ministries has awesome on-line studies that you can join. People leave comments and "chat" via comments about what they have learned and it's a little more laid back than having to formally attend one. (Although you don't get that "personal touch.")

    I loved your "re-set" analogy. We have been re-setting in a lot of ways around here too!!

    HUGS and blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shanda! I will look up Living Proof! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...