Thursday, June 4, 2009

UFOs



(image from classesandclarreers)



"Wouldn't it be, like, super cool if we turned around and we saw a UFO flying, instead of a car behind us, huh? Don't you agree with me?"



My son is talking. He didn't talk until he was three. We had him in speech therapy; we were testing him, and enrolling him for special-needs preschool. I was worried so much that he would just never be able to put words together. Then one day, as I was recovering from night shift (used to actually work as a nurse 7pm-7am --it makes you loopy), I noticed, at a bridal shower for my soon to be sister-in-law, my son twisting his body back and forth and mumbling. More than 1 word, but what seemed like three, maybe four. It was, indeed, five words.



"We just got a letter... we just got a letter... we just got a letter... I wonder who it's from?"





( images of Blue from willies blues clues character page)


What??!!! His first phrase... more than "mom" or "juice" was from Blue's Clues. I have a great affinity for Blue's Clues now, because it was a milestone for my son. He started talking... and flapping. We were headed toward a diagnosis, and we weren't so "stuck" anymore on this worry.





So now, my son never STOPS talking. If he is not talking, there are sound effects to be heard. I know where he is most of the time because he makes noise.



UFOs have never really excited me, but T is fascinated that there could possibly be UFOS somewhere. Trying to keep him very reality based sometimes can be a challenge, so when these questions come up, it is best to listen and respond appropriately, because T will remember EVERYTHING you have said on the subject. So I take the same stance, "Not really. I don't want any UFOs following me, and I don't think they are real." -- I know, not very fun.


My husband, though, happened to be home. smile now. "They might be scary." --he says.


T sighs. "and not very friendly."


"And they are unusual, so you might be scared." (M)


"and not very friendly." (T)


"And they are weird, it might be scary!" (M)


T, starting to get the angry eyebrows, "and not very friendly" (T)


M (the husband), smiling, "and scary?"


T, angry now , looking like a mafia hit man might look at someone who has one more chance to get it right, says, "and not very friendly!"



M takes a breath, I glare, he laughs, "yes, not very friendly."


Enough, boys! It was funny, though. T continues to get stuck sometimes, and I guess he was stuck. Once someone repeated what he said, he smiled, flapped, and ran off to bed. M and I were left in the kitchen; we couldn't help but laugh. We've actually come a long way! Because he and I tend to get stuck sometimes, too. Stuck on worries or other issues that arise during typical marriages (is there such a thing as typical?). Anyway... it was a good laugh, last night. A good ending.


I hope we all have them... good endings. Good beginnings,too. It is in the middle, I think, that we get stuck. That is where the hope and prayer are, though-- to get you through to your happy ending!


Prayer requests continue, by the way -- Mom (mine) had a job interview. A still has a house contract (yea!) and I just want to lift our marriages, children (both born and brewing), and mental health to the LORD. Praise!
(image from Christian images/ google)







1 comment:

  1. How true that we often get stuck in the middle and need to pray our way through!

    Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...