Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Oh me, Oh my...

On a positive note: one of my bestest, greatest friends' made this beautiful Rosary cupcake/cake, and offered the Rosary prayer and Mass to my son and her father-in-law, who thankfully does not need a pacer/defibrillator, today. Very nice, and sweet, and lovely in all ways. And my other bestest, greatest friend may have found a place to live when she moves to Seattle (can't wait to visit her there, wish she didn't have to move, though) next month. Many prayers of thanksgiving to these special, sweet, fantastic women in my life! And, thanks, Mom for always being there when I need you!
Now for the "interesting" news --

And...My goodness... it appears that I have been torturing my child (just by feeding him), the oldest, for several, many years. He had his first allergy screening today. Yes, the icky, ugly skin test. This involves (for those of you who don't know) multiple scratches on the back with proteins for common allergens exposed to the scratch. Then, after 20 minutes (of not being allowed to scratch - imagine a demon's voice uttering from the lips of your child) the nurse measures how big the hives are. My son is allergic to EVERYTHING except guinea pigs (yea, because we already have one), Brazil nuts (who eats those, anyway), and dairy and soy products (thank goodness for that).
He is a vegetarian (the rest of the family is not vegetarian and he will throw up and make himself sick if he eats meat. This is an autism- black and white issue for him. Animals good. Will.not.eat.them.)... the vegetarian-easy-to-cook Boca/Morning Star products are LOADED with wheat gluten (to make them stick together). Also, because he is a vegetarian, I make him eat lots of peanut butter; it's an easy protein. Well, guess what? Allergic to tree nuts (except Brazil nuts, again, weird). I went to 3 grocery stores in 4 hours this afternoon and spent well over a hundred dollars to shop for products for this child.


My just starting out blog is going to also be about behavioral changes related to dietary changes related to allergies journal. By the way, today was awful. Many meltdowns. No more moons (cashews) and no more Reece's (oh, yes, allergic to chocolate, too).
Some very "interesting" things to ponder, ideas to come up with, and, of course, solutions to consider. Anyone who knows me, knows I do. not. cook. I missed the memo that had me sign up for the cooking gene. Now, it seems, that I am going to have to creatively disguise tofu. Tofu is "interesting" as well. Very different texture. My son bravely tried some tonight. It didn't go too well. I definitely need to figure out how to dress that up. I think we (our family) are in for some interesting adventures.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...