Tuesday, July 21, 2009

changes


Well... I'm finding out some things about me. I want to be this laid back, never- gets- bothered -type of mom. However, the more laid back, or relaxed I try to be, the more anxious and up tight I become. What is up with that? I'm trying to make what I think is an improvement, but all it does is create a negative environment around me. I get snappy and snippy, sullen and depressed feeling. So, I am trying to learn more about this side of me... the side that is always there, you know. Being laid back and relaxed may not be the answer... I am praying (and have a few friends and family members praying) very hard about this! I'm wanting improvement. Lists and schedules may just be the way to go.

As usual, summer is turning out busier than expected. We started our allergy shots, which counts as an excursion; once, if not twice a week. Also, summer dance is very intensive. As much as we (the girls and I) like it, it makes for long Mondays and Wednesdays. Also, 'D' is still doing piano, and I kind of promised her tennis camp, so she is doing that this week, as well. She likes to be busy... I used to be like that, but as I get older I think I just want more down time.


Our last camping trip was shorter than expected. We had such a fun trip before that I had high expectations for this last trip, too. It started out great! We went down to Virginia Beach, traffic wasn't terrible. Aside from forgetting sleeping bags, everything was in order. We got everything set up, had dinner and a camp fire, went to bed. Friday we had a great camp breakfast, then headed off to the beach. It was a fun day! Then, it got dark and stormy... seriously dark, and the storm came on quickly. Honestly, we didn't think it was a catastrophe, we just planned on waiting out the rain at a store, or something. We were shocked to find tents moved, the canopy destroyed (like, with metal sticking out everywhere, and laying on its side, and shredded parts of the canvas laying on the ground), the cooler was on its side, everything (literally, we had to throw books and a nameless stuffed animal away) was soaked! We had to pack up the car (with lightening and thunder cracking all around us) and leave. We looked like refugees on the way out: dirty, wet and unorganized. Thank goodness we were not from Canada (it would've been a long drive). Traffic was beautiful going home- no tunnel back ups ( I loathe the tunnel).

So, we have a lot to be thankful for. It helps to focus on these things to keep from being totally ticked off... it softens the blow, anyway. We weren't hurt. We didn't have to watch our campsite get destroyed, we arrived after it happened. Also, traffic wasn't heavy going home. The beach time was a lot of fun. I love the beach. Thank God (literally) for the beach!

John 16:33 says, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." I know Jesus is not talking about everyday strife and worry, here, but I do take comfort that He is with me. I know I need to take Him seriously, not what happens to me so seriously. So, this is where I will finish my post today... have peace, pray, and know He is with you!




1 comment:

  1. I completely hear you on the wanting to be the "laid back mom" and finding that you might not be as "laid back" as you might have hoped...I will be praying you you as you work through this and would love to continue to hear your thoughts as they come!

    So sorry your camping trip was interrupted! At least you were able to be refugees together as a family! ;)

    Blessings to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...