Tuesday, July 14, 2009

should have warned you...

We were out of town, and it's summer. I know I haven't written, and I didn't warn anyone I was going away. So sorry about that! We are actually going away again the day after tomorrow! We went camping, and it was so fun that we are doing it again. It really was fun! We really were dirty-- but I guess we proved we could live with it for four days.

I think I've mentioned before that I am a high maintenance camper... I haven't changed a bit (except that I let go of the whole nightly shower routine for a few days). We had to have water and electric hook-ups so we could have a fan, light, and an electric bug zapper -- it is summer, after all; the water, of course, so we could brush our teeth without having to walk to the "comfort station". I had to have the comfort station, too. I'm not big on using the potty in nature. I prefer plumbing.
The kids love-love-loved camping! 'T' is my "no shirt, no shoes, no problem" kid. He has hated (loathed/despised) shoes for about four months now. This is not a reaction to gluten free eating, as it happened before the diet. Shoes are either too tight, they hurt, or make his feet sweat... Anyway, he went shoeless, and shirtless for about the whole time. No problem! While it is hard to take a vegetarian-gluten-free child camping, it is not impossible! We were able to do it. Bean dip, it turns out, is good and has protein. Cheese puff chips (those nasty, orange, puffy things) are also gluten free, and they wash off well in the pool.

'D', it turns out, is part mermaid. She swam constantly- at the beach, at the pool, at the pool again. She loves being outside, too. She loved putting up the camp, helping her dad. She enjoyed the camp fire and sleeping in the kid tent with 'T'. The only challenge with 'D' was that she didn't want to stay in her swimsuit the whole day, and needed multiple wardrobe options.



The youngest, 'K', is also turning into a mermaid. She swam the entire length of the pool our second night at the campground. Being five, she took more breaks out of the water, and at the beach, but that child moves until she falls asleep! She go-go-goes until she is literally falling apart, and sleeps immediately. This amazes me because I could be exhausted and will still stare at the ceiling (sky, tent top) for a while before I can finally nod off. The husband can do this too-- fall asleep the minute the head hits the pillow. I wish I could!

Camping, for us, was a great exercise, and a fantastic vacation. We all had to cooperate with one another, and help each other out to set up, and break down the camp. I had to let go of some rules, and loosen up a bit. The kids had to do a little work. It was great, all of us actually being together. It was nice to be outside. It was great to play! The beach was awesome, too. Plus, where else is God more obvious than at the beach? All you can see is water and sky! It is awesome being at the beach... very contemplating, relaxing and fun.


My friend, 'A' is moved into her house out in "Twilight" land -- and her mom is flying out today to help them get a little more settled. It sounds beautiful (and a little over-cast and misty). I continue to pray for their transition (:

I'm trying to catch up with my local friends as well, but the week is proving to be busy! My friend, 'J' is going to Scotland to visit family soon, and my friend 'E' is just back from New York! It has been fun to hang out with with 'S' (and just across the street, yea!), and they got a fun trampoline! I can't wait to try it, and the kids love it. I am very thankful for all my friends (Thank you!)

And, finally, we can't stay away from dance. Our five week session started this week, so Mondays and Wednesdays are full of tap and ballet. My whole body is sore from ballet and pointe last night! 'K' is trying tap, and seems to like it. 'D' continues with her tap and ballet. She actually gets to tap with her sister, because the summer session combines level 1 and 2. So far, so good with that one. It's good to see them enjoying being together.


I don't mean for posts to be so sporadic, here, lately-- but I guess summer helps us relax a little, and shake up our routines a bit. Change is hard, even when it is good. But, I guess that is where we all learn the most: from moments of change.

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! We just got back tonight. Where did you go camping? Hubby is more of a "rustic" kind of camper. Me, not so much...but I can do it for a day or two as long as I get a shower here and there! We tent camped some on our trip-I will try to post some pics soon.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...