Friday, September 25, 2009

lessons


OK... so, I knew bringing 'K' home to school would be challenging. I knew it would be hard. I even knew, on some level, that I would get frustrated with her and home-schooling, all together.


I had no idea...


We have been at it (home-school) for a good, solid month. The only encouragement I've gotten lately probably occurred the other day, when, in the allergist's office we were watching "Are You as Smart as a Fifth -Grader?" My first- grader knew more of the answers than the 30-ish year old woman playing along on the TV show knew. I don't even know if this was encouraging, or just distressing, knowing that some people out there are just not knowledgeable. She was a college graduate! She thought the Appalachian Mountains were in South America!


This week, we have been studying creation. The Creation. Adam and Eve, and Cain and Abel. I asked 'K' to tell me about Adam and Eve.


"Well, Adam and Eve lived in the garden and got in a fight and one killed the other."


"I think you are confusing stories, Honey... Adam and Eve did live in the Garden of Eden. Cain killed Abel. What did God give Adam and Eve?"


"Naked," she replies. I smile at her. She smiles back. OK.


"Yes, but how come they knew they were naked?" I ask. I'm trying to prompt her along, now. Surely, she remembers this story. It isn't a new story; she has heard it before.


"Naked... they hid in the flowers... they ate the grapes."


Hmmm.... guess we will be reviewing that one again.


Today, she was writing letters in order on a worksheet. One of the exercises had "_z_". She answered "y-z-", but didn't put the "a" next. I asked her, "well, what would come after z?"


"Now," she said. "You know, now I know my a-b-c's ..."


I am laughing. It is Friday. It's time to regroup for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...