Friday, September 18, 2009

listen


(just a random, peaceful picture of Bermuda... wish we were there)

It has been an interesting week. 'T' has started attending the middle school for speech, and math lessons. He receives speech therapy because he still needs some articulation work (can't produce the /th/ sound), and he gets attention in pragmatics, which refers to his use of language, and how he stays "on task" in a conversation. The math is because, after five years of me telling the special education officials that he doesn't get it, he can't memorize it, and he has a hard time writing it, he finally, actually, tested positive (or in the definitive) for a math-learning disability.

I've been worried about him going to school, because he has been so nervous about things lately, but, of course, he rose to the occasion, and did fine. He will have to go every other day, and one of those days he stays extra for speech. He really likes the speech therapist (so do I). He worked with her last year. She is a vegetarian, and has a farm, loves animals, and really likes folklore and mythology, so she fits well with him. Thank God (literally) there are people who have a great affinity toward kids with special needs. Every time I get down about how hard it is to raise my son, to teach him, to reach him, I need to be thankful that God gave (loaned) 'T' to me the way he is, and that HE has put very specific people in my path to help me. Praise God!

'K' has continued to be a very challenging student. I've figured out a way to help her with lessons: keep her moving, and keep the lessons short. I've tried to feed her coffee this week to see if the stimulation would calm her a little, but wouldn't you know? --She isn't interested in coffee this week. She usually chugs mine behind my back, so I've purposely been trying to make it obviously available to her, but she has discovered sweet tea. Sweet tea does not calm down anyone... so that hasn't been helpful. The bouncy ball has been slightly helpful... it at least gives her exercise and an energy outlet in between lessons. It is a good thing she is just so cute. I have to focus on being consistent with this one, especially. She notices every little opening to get away with something.

'D' has even been a little distracted this week. She is my hardest worker, and loves things like workbooks and writing. This week, though, she has been distracted. By what, I don't know. The weather is changing... the moon is phasing... dance started... maybe she is tired. She is reading, like, five different books, and writing two different projects: a play (she is trying to win a prize to New York City), and "the best pet in the world" contest (I don't know what she wins for this, maybe another pet. Hope not).



I know God gives them to us for just a little while, but it has been a long week. So, today, we went to the zoo. We are studying Creation, so I figured the zoo would be a great science lesson. We went with my friend, 'S' and her just-turned-three-year-old daughter, 'B'. Fun, fun, fun! Really, for real, it was fun. The National Zoo is awesome. We got to hear the lioness roar. We got to see the elephants feed. The pandas were sleeping (of course). The red pandas actually got close to the fence, so we got to see them up close. We saw cheetahs, too. The only negative thing about the zoo isthe poor spacing of restrooms, and an up-hill walk to get out of the zoo at the end of the day. All-in-all it was a good day!


The verse on my heart tonight is one from James. It is James 1:19 : "Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger."

I am guilty of not being quick to hear at times, and too quick to get angry. So, this verse has been read twice by me today, in two different instances, and two different places. Random? Probably not... I was meant to read it. Hearing not only the words of another person, but the emotion behind them, can only be accomplished if you are listening. Listening is hearing the whole message of what someone is saying. Sometimes, the words don't mean exactly what the message is. Being slow to speak, of course, makes you listen more. Being slow to anger... well... that helps keep everyone happy. I need to work on this. Deep breathing helps, for sure. Meditating on scripture, though, benefits everyone around you. I'm glad I was led to this verse today. I'm glad it is on my mind -- even now, as children are still awake (sigh) and needing me to tuck them in...

(peace plant image from plant-care web site)

So, good night to all. Peace be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...