Saturday, January 8, 2011

back to school

It is difficult, I think, to get back in the swing of things, when things are already moving smoothly.  We were quite happy staying up late and sleeping in and not really having an agenda. 

However, education is important.  I remember three years ago thinking I would be this kind of super-home-school-mom-homemaker-diva (well, sometimes I'm a diva)... sadly, the cooking gene still didn't take root.  I do have swept floors, though, and the house doesn't smell bad despite a guinea pig, a chinchilla, a bird, two turtles, three children, and one husband (now that's a measure of success, right?)... but still, aren't we supposed to be doing lots of projects and learning Latin?  I can't say we are there, yet.  Regardless, it has been a good school week: Latin (no...nada...nope), reading (always),stars and galaxies (done), Barbarians wrecking Rome (done), infinitives and gerunds (um... done, sort of, not really understood 100%), effect/affect/ already/all ready/ rise/raise/rose (done - almost 100%) regrouping ("carrying"), long division and estimation (a work in progress)... anyway, you get the point, right?  We aren't sitting around eating bon-bons!

Whew - (I think it helps to write down what we did accomplish- it's validating)-


Gary Chapman wrote a book called God Speaks Your Love Language.  I've read snippets of his Love Languages before this current book came out, and have totally thought about how I don't think Mark and I are adept at speaking each other's language.  So, I was so intrigued to find this book about God and the love languages.  I really am enjoying the book, so much that I'm going to have to purchase his original book.  I'm thinking not only about my spouse's language, but my children, my parents, my friends, and of course, my own.  It's really a powerful concept:  everyone has a predominant love language.  Words of affirmation, quality time, gifts, acts of service, and physical touch are the languages.  Each of us "speaks" one of those languages more strongly than another, and it's the way we show and interpret love to and from others.  Fascinating, right?  Imagine if acts of service was important to you and your spouse tells you he doesn't think you love him because you never bring him gifts... wouldn't you be hurt (or even resentful)?  So, now imagine that you now know his love language is gifts... wouldn't it make sense to show him that you love him by giving him little gifts throughout the month (clean floors don't count... )?  Powerful concept.  

Now... know that you feel closest to God when you are speaking your love language, and in turn, He is speaking your love language!   That is what the book is all about!  It is really good stuff! I highly recommend it.  I loved the chapter about acts of service, and Mother Theresa.  Enough said!

So we had this little spa day today... the girls and I made soap and bath salts, and did manicures and pedicures.  Danielle was totally able to relax, while Katie was unable to sit still (and her nails bare the consequences of that).  We had a good time, though!  (Acts of service - I think I'm figuring it all out, here... maybe)...


Danielle in her happy place


Katie:  must. hold. still. 
Mommy wants this picture.
must...hold...
  Tommy hates shoes! I am so very thrilled to find these Vibram five finger shoes... He loves them!  He says it's exactly like being bare-foot!  If only every shoe on Planet Earth were like this! They make you jump higher!  They make you run faster!!!  Love!!! Only groundhogs and Harley-Davidson motorcycles are better than this!!!



happy feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...