Friday, November 23, 2018

The monthly check in...

Well, November has been an... interesting (?) month.

My mom got sick- the kind of sick where the doctor says, “she may not survive this,” sick. My husband and I drove as fast as legally (ish) possible to get from where we are to where she and my dad are. It really and truly did not look good. And, she survived.

My dad injured his back- the kind of injury where he was using my mom’s walker- injury. He was in a tremendous pain. So, while mom was in the ICU, my brother and my husband and I made appointments with his general doctor, with the MRI people, and “cold calling” the ortho doctor to see if there was any way to get him seen sooner. 

Perseverance paid off, and he was seen and scheduled for surgery the next week. So... My brother and I made lots of plans to cover all the care for dad, from having to be taken to surgery and taken back home from the hospital, and transitioning him to getting back on his feet at home. You know, we made plans. So, of course everything changed. Dad did not need to be in the hospital for as long as the doctor anticipated, which is good news, but this skewed the anticipated time tables of piecing together work, time off, and things like that. Mom meanwhile, was also doing great (good news, again!) and was actually transferred to a skilled nursing facility and out of the hospital.

For about four hours.

Then, mom got really sick again. She was transferred back to the hospital, and that seems to be where we are now. She is doing better, and Dad continues to improve.

Life always seems to somehow like to throw us the proverbial curve ball. What we expect is never what happens. Right? We are always learning how to be fluid, I laugh because I keep saying that this is a fluid situation. It’s hard, in my opinion, to live a fluid situation lifestyle.

God is God, and I am not. I am clinging to that truth right now. It actually comforts me, and reminds me that I am always learning something.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...