Thursday, September 27, 2018

No longer deceased...



I know it’s crazy- but Mark and I have been fighting this issues for several (5- a little over) months! Tommy was listed as deceased when we tried to enroll him for his phone through government benefits. It’s such a long, long story, but in a nutshell, Tommy qualified for a phone and when we tried to get this benefit, the phone company that is contracted by Virginia to provide the phone, told me he didn’t exist, he was deceased, he was not alive, etc.

They needed a proof of life video (um... this sounds like a terrorist negotiation), copies of all of his government documentation (social security number, birth certificate, ID cards), a “selfie” (really?), proof that he is living to include mortgage payments, utility payments, etc. (these things are provided by us, because he has a disability, and isn’t this program for people with disabilities?).

I had to use some buzz-words (fraud, taxpayer, registered voter) in a letter crafted to my state district senator, state district representative, Department of Medical Assistance Services, Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services, Director of Medicaid of Virginia, and then I cc’d my state senator and state representative to the US Congress, just for good measure. Interestingly enough, things started to happen after that letter went out... and now, I’m happy to report that Tommy is indeed alive and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...