Monday, August 9, 2010

first week of August 2010

cousins!

It's been a traveling sort of week.  We (the kids and I) traveled to beautiful Greensboro, NC to visit my brother and his family.  The cousins love each other and are always so excited to see each other!  They stay up (too) late and get up (too) early; but they have a great time.  I love to catch up with my bro and his wife, too.  Really, truly, they are an amazing family.  Greensboro is a really cool town, with a great vibe to it.  I can see the young and fabulous working downtown; and there are great schools and museums, neat parks, fun shops and a cool mall.  My sister-in-law is a Montessori teacher at this awesome Greensboro Montessori School (which her kids also attend), and my brother works in the city government, and refs lacrosse (so cool!).  Their house is really sweet in a fantastic neighborhood.  I really enjoy visiting! I wish I got to do it more often!

I haven't been able to do many more updates on my house, even though I have these great ideas... It was the tax free weekend here in Virginia, and I (probably) went a little overboard... the lure, though, of tax free clothes, groceries, and school supplies totally tempted my spending gene.  It's like Christmas time - I struggle with the need for things, and the awesome "bargain"; but, really, it will be hot here until Halloween...  We don't need boots, coats, scarves, etc.  But, they are on sale! And tax free!! And we are always running out of glue sticks, and tape, and markers.  The battle rages on and on. -- I'm reading Financial Peace University right now, and it is scary to realize that it is so easy to fall into the spending mentality.  It's time to tighten up again!  I hope the kid's feet don't grow until after Christmas (honestly... Danielle wears a ladies size 9- she is only 9), good shoes are expensive.  You can't find those at the thrift store (I've tried!)


I think we'll probably start school, here in the next few weeks.  I just need to get organized.  Take a deep breath in... breathe out... it is so hard to stay organized!  I (don't really) need all those pottery-barn style baskets and shelves....


from the loved Pottery Barn catalog

School will be good, though.  It's always nice for a fresh start. I think even the kids are getting slightly excited.  I may be slightly delusional about that -  but they were excited about picking out their binders and notebooks this last weekend!

Books: totally loved The Mortal Instruments series... really, very cool story line.  Danielle is reading all about Paris.  She thinks Paris is the coolest.  Katie is reading all Fancy Nancy.  We all love Fancy Nancy (well, we girls do, anyway).  Tommy is reading his fact books; mythology, swords and weapons, kung-fu, Bruce Lee, sword, groundhogs, Harley-Davidsons, Sonic, and Batman comics.  Batman is the man right now!

The Power of a Praying Wife

 Also:  The Power of the Praying Wife, Stormie Omartian... very good, timely wisdom for any and all marriages, those doing well, and those doing not so well.  I wish I read this before I got married!  I really love the faith and the words of wisdom from the Bible.


random... the new turtle habitat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...