Tuesday, August 25, 2009

back to life...

We just had a great family vacation! We visited my super sweet, super wise grandma: "G-Ma" in Jacksonville, Florida. She has lived there almost all of her almost 86 years. Everywhere we go in town, someone knows her, or remembers her. G-Ma used to be a crossing guard (was one for many, many years); she not only kept kids safe on their way to school, she actually became a part of the children's lives! I know, because they remember her. When we are out shopping or running errands with G-Ma, we run into people that invariably say, "Did you used to cross kids?", "Did you use to teach crochet at the school?", "Do you remember me?" --and she does remember. Her memory is long. I will desperately miss her when she goes to Heaven. I can't help but think about it more, because we are getting older every day... I really paid attention to the stories I've heard many times on this visit, and I know not to take for granted the evening hours sent listening to her talk. So sweet, and so wise!


My children got to visit the beach so much on this trip that they actually had the nerve to complain about it! I didn't have too much patience for that because we don't have a beach where we live.






"So sorry, children, but yes, we are going to the beach again, today, you poor, poor dears."



We went to the zoo! Fun, fun, fun. We love the zoo... we didn't love the 105 degrees and 100% humidity, and the flash thunderstorm... but the giraffes were way cool (my favorite!), and 'T' loved the Komodo Dragon. The girls loved the giraffes, too, and 'K' got up close to a few birds.




We also visited St. Augustine. The home-school mom in me was a little sorry I didn't prepare better (could have been a fantastic history lesson), but it was interesting to see the fort...






and a Homeland Security boat with tourists on board (you can sort of make out the aloha shirt on the guy taking pictures). The city is very interesting, and is probably more enjoyable in the fall when it isn't so hot. Another 105 degrees, 100% humidity. How is it that natives maintain make-up and hairstyles in that weather? I was drenched in sweat in about 30 seconds!


Vacations are usually renewing, and this one was, and nice, and sweet! We caught up with aunts and uncles and cousins. Family time is so very important to us, so it was great to visit with the Florida team. I feel ready to start a new school year, I feel better about it, a little less anxious. We have been busy with doctors appointments this week, but next week: watch out! Organization will begin! That is optimism for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Yoga

 Take a deep breath in, purse your lips and slowly let it out… Yoga, by far, has been one of the most beneficial activities that I’ve added ...